Now you can experience the fall birding season! (See the spring Birding & Natural History event as well!)
Highlights will be time at Cabin Lake bird blinds, birding at Malheur (notably for rails, hawks and migratory water fowl), driving the Steens Mountain Loop and viewing amazing vistas and Keiger mustangs, Diamond Craters (including Malheur Maar), the Borax Works, shakes and burgers at Fields, and dinner out at Diamond Hotel or Frenchglen Hotel. There is also a possibility of viewing the Historic Sod Ranch and long barn, and (if reopened) Malheur Wildlife Refuge's HQ.
Rev. Jim Monroe will serve as guide for these adventures, adding meaningful theological reflection on God’s wondrous creation.
For more information, please contact Suttle Lake Camp
What to Know Before You Go:
- Plan to arrive at Suttle Lake Camp between 3pm-5pm on Sunday, September 17th. Please let the camp know if you will be arriving later on Sunday so they will not expect you for dinner.
- Click here for directions to camp.
- Monday morning we will begin our journey to Malhuer Field Station where we will stay for the remainder of the camp. We will return to Suttle Lake Camp on Friday, September 22nd ready for departure by 4pm.
- Please print and mail a completed, signed Health Form to Suttle Lake Camp at least two weeks before camp starts or bring it to camp with you. If you have special dietary needs, please contact the camp at least two weeks in advance. (Contact information below.)
- Plan to pack for success:
- You'll need a warm sleeping bag, pillow, towel and toiletries.
- Weather in Southern Oregon can go through major changes in the course of just an hour or two (from hot sun to cold hail!) so bring lots of appropriate layers including rain gear.
- Your feet will thank you if you bring comfortable walking shoes that are preferably water resistant.
- You will likely also want some birding gear: binoculars, field identification guides and related books, journal, water bottle, bug spray, camera, tweed hat, and a spotting scope.
- Please be sure to bring a sense of wonder, discovery, and humor!
- For registration information, please contact Geneva Cook, camp registrar: 503-802-9213 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- For program or camp related questions, please contact Jane Petke, Suttle Lake Camp Director
- For road conditions call 511 or check http://www.tripcheck.com/