Site: Camp Latgawa
Dates: 5/18/2017 - 5/21/2017
Age Level: Adult
Cost: Full Rate: $320
This class has been called “liberating” by those who have taken it. Each attendee will take home their own unique “Pathways” art quilt top. See the photo for inspirational theme.
During this 4-day quilting retreat (a "real treat"!) you will:
* Receive a collection of fabrics that have been selected to give you enough to piece the “water” and “moon” in your quilt top.
* Receive some other supplies, including a kit of Lumiere paints to enhance your quilt. All attendees will also receive a paint palette and brushes to keep.
* Learn how to use art media, such as paints, colored pencils and crayons, and have unlimited access to them during the retreat, for use on your quilt.
* Have fun with Angelina fiber and fabric confetti, and learn how they can add texture and interest to your quilts.
* Learn about basic color theory, and how to use color and value to create the illusions of depth, transparency, luminosity and movement, using opaque fabrics in a flat format.
* Combine colored fabrics to suggest light reflection and luster.
* Develop an understanding of the intrinsic qualities of design elements that are either vertically or horizontally formatted, as well as the basic rules in creating believable landscape quilts.
* Enrich your art quilt with texture.
* Create folded fabric raw-edge applique embellishments.
* Gain basic knowledge of free-motion quilting.
* Learn how to blend your design into the borders or binding, or use the borders to lend support to the main design.
We’ll start off the weekend on Thursday afternoon, with a short and easy, guided nature walk. You’ll learn about the flora and fauna of the camp and discover ways of interpreting what you see into fabric art.
The first workshop Instructed Sew time will be on Thursday afternoon. Each day thereafter, you’ll have Instructed Sew lessons, plus some Free Sew time.
Registration space is limited. Each person will have their own dedicated work table, and there will be plenty of design wall space.
You are invited to join us for “S’more Fun” on Thursday night, where we’ll have lots of scrumptious ingredients for you to become a real S’mores gourmand!
Check-in is from 12:30-1:30 p.m. on Thursday, with workshops starting around 2:00 p.m. The first meal (dinner) will be served at 6:00 p.m. The retreat will end on Sunday around 2:00 p.m. after lunch.
Please print and mail the completed, signed (click here): Health Form to the Camp Latgawa at 13250 S Fork Little Butte Crk Rd. Eagle Point, OR 97524 at least two weeks before your arrival. If you have special dietary needs, please note this on your form so accommodations can be made.
What’s Cooking at Camp Latgawa?
At Camp Latgawa, we nurture guests with healthy, home-cooked, family-style meals. We are experienced in accommodating diabetic, vegetarian, gluten-free, lactose intolerant, nut-free, and vegan needs.
Campers will stay in Ephesus Lodge. The rooms are double occupancy. Private restrooms and showers are just down the hall. Please bring your own bedding, pillow and towels. Ephesus Lodge has a deck that overlooks the creek and beautiful forestland.
PERSONAL PACKING LIST
The following packing list includes suggested items and is not all-inclusive.